Reduction of Size & Weight
1) Compared to regular circuit boards, flexible circuit boards can be packaged, folded & placed in more compact devices such as a camera.
2) It can even allow you to save more space by replacing a wired assembly with a flex circuit. Flex designs are typically only 10% of the space and weight of wired solutions.
3) Flexible circuit boards are thin and light weight, allowing for substantial decreasing of size.
4) Space requirements can even be minimized by applying the freedom of 3D packaging geometry.
Reliability & Durability
1) Reliability is increased by eliminating interface connections such as solder joints, connectors & contact crimps. The less amount of interconnects, the lower the chances for potential failure.
2) The low mass of flex circuits reduces the impact of vibration and shock, resulting in improved performance.
3) Due to it’s exceptional thermal stability, flexible circuit boards are extensively used in high reliability military and medical applications.
4) Flexible circuit boards use polyimide, which dissipates heat at a better rate compared to other dielectric materials while still providing the added benefits of flexibility.
5) Flex circuits offer excellent radiation and UV exposure resistance.
1) The thin and flexible polyimide film requires a much smaller area, resulting in a reduction of overall finished assembly packaging size and material costs.
2) Reduction in PCB assembly costs are seen since fewer parts are needed for the final assembled product.
3) Flex circuits can eliminate wire routing errors resulting in a reduction of test time, rework and rejects.